Find out about EL*C’s great venue / Registrations are opened!
Find out about EL*C’s great venue / Registrations are opened! EL*C Newsletter
What you can find in this issue:
1. Registration is now open for the 2017 EL*C Conference in Vienna! 2. Discover where in Vienna the EL*C will take place! 3. Upcoming deadlines: EL*C Conference open call submissions & Conference attendance funding request 4. EL*C visits the IHLIA LGBT Heritage in Amsterdam 5. Outcomes from EL*C’s meeting with the EU’s Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA) 6. Join EL*C’s next conference planning meeting in Vienna on 19 May – L* photographers & video makers wanted! 7. Promotion tips for EL*C members and sympathizers across Europe!
1. Registration is now open for the 2017 EL*C Conference in Vienna
Registration is now open for the 1st European Lesbian* Conference: “Lesbians in Europe: Connect, Reflect, Act, Transform!”, which will take place at the Donauhof in Vienna between 6-8 October 2017. In most European countries, lesbians* have been at the forefront of social and political changes. Nevertheless, the energy, creativity, research and activist skills developed by lesbians* during the last 20 years lack visibility and recognition. This is a consequence of specific cultural mechanisms that have erased female sexuality throughout societies, and which resulted in our voices and stories not being loud enough, and our history not being properly recognized. To counter this state of affairs, the European Lesbian* Conference will take place in Vienna on October 6-8, 2017, which is the International Lesbian Day. The goal of the EL*C conference is to create an academic/’activistic’/artistic and literary space, where lesbians* will be able to express themselves without fear of being ignored or discriminated against. The conference will also serve as a skills-and-knowledge-sharing platform for its diverse representation of attendees.
The organizers aim to create a conference that includes a wide diversity of lesbians*; Anyone who considers themselves to have a connection to the word ‘lesbian*’ is invited to come and join us in our dialogues. See below for Conference attendance funding request opportunities.
2. Discover where in Vienna the EL*C will take place!
The EL*C Core Group is happy to announce that the Donauhof, located at Engerthstrasse 141, in Vienna has been secured as the venue for the conference in October. We are thrilled that the EL*C’s first conference will take place in such a dynamic and innovative space, conforming to the event’s theme: “Lesbians in Europe: Connect, Reflect, Act, Transform!”.
Open Call submissions deadline is 28 May 2017: Academics, scholars, researchers, political and cultural activists, artists and/or lesbian* collectives, are invited to submit an abstract based on the EL*C’s theme: “Lesbians in Europe: Connect, Reflect, Act, Transform” by Sunday 28 May 2017. We are looking for proposals as wide and wild as lesbian realities can be; these can include papers, presentations, workshops, political debates, performances, artworks and interdisciplinary forms of expression that will fulfil and enlarge the space of the 1st EL*C conference. For further details, please visit: https://europeanlesbianconference.org/application-funding/
Conference attendance funding request deadline is 30 June 2017: The European Lesbian* Conference offers funding for lesbians* who would otherwise be unable to participate in the conference for financial reasons. For further details, please visit: https://europeanlesbianconference.org/application-funding/
4. EL*C’s visit with IHLIA LGBT Heritage in Amsterdam The EL*C had the opportunity to visit the IHLIA LGBT Heritage in Amsterdam (located at the Central Library), and to discuss ideas for collaboration with its Director, Lonneke van den Hoonaard. Together with the IHLIA LGBT Heritage, and organizers of previous lesbian-centered conferences in Europe, the EL*C are hoping to exhibit the history and effects – both via image and text, of former lesbian conferences and meetings. This project is motivated by a common aspiration to bring forth archives of European-based lesbian movements.
6. Join EL*C’s next conference planning meeting in Vienna on 19 May – L* photographers & video makers wanted!
EL*C’s next conference planning meeting will take place on 19 May between 4pm-6pm, at the Donauhof, located at Engerthstrasse 141 ( http://donauhofwien.at/). This is the same venue where the actual conference will take place between 6-8 October 2017.On 19 May, EL*C’s core group looks forward to meeting members and sympathizers wishing to provide logistical support around the organization of the conference, and others to brainstorm and create a visual and social media campaign aimed at spreading the word and welcoming other LBTI* women & friends to register for the conference. L* photographers & video makers are especially wanted for the latter!
7. Promotion tips for EL*C members and sympathizers across Europe
Order EL*C Stickers: EL*C stickers have been ordered by multiple lesbians and lesbian-led groups across Europe to help with the promotion of both its creation and the 1st European Lesbian* Conference – Vienna, Austria, 6-8 October 2017. To order stickers to help spread the word, please email: email@example.com
EL*C in your city: Look out for EL*C-led meetings and activities happening in your city. As EL*C members are spread throughout Europe, so are the initiatives they organize. Meetings have already taken place in Rome, Paris, Zürich, Amsterdam, and Vienna. If you would like the EL*C to promote your event or mention it in our upcoming newsletter, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Lesbian Genius website is created and maintained with the financial support of the European Union. Its contents are the sole responsibility of the EuroCentralAsian Lesbian* Community implementing the project, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the European Union.